Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 16:16:28 +0200
From: Jens Timmerman <jens@...et.be>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Markov phrases in john

Hi,

On 08/05/2024 12:34, Albert Veli wrote:
> Hi, as many of you know a mask will not try combinations of characters
> in alphabetical order but rather in the most likely to least likely order
> using something like Markov chains:
>
> This is useful to find human-created passwords early. Nowadays it is more
> and more popular to use combinations of words to create passwords. Would
> it be possible to use Markov or similar to traverse entire words from a
> wordlist and use the most common pair of adjacent words from the list
> first, then the second most common and so on?

I guess you could try to train a large language model on large lists of
known leaed passphrases?

These might perform better at learning the underlying patterns people
use when thinking of passphrases than a simle markov model.

However this might end up being computationally expensive, and probably
also storage intensive if you want to create a nice list of passphrases.

And that would be by design, I think the entire idea of using
passphrases over passwords is that it makes password cracking a lot
harder/more expensive.

But it would be interesting to see the results of such an approach.

Regards,

Jens Timmerman